January 14, 2016

Life // My New(ish) Year Resolutions

Follow me on Instagram // https://instagram.com/michelerb

I'm not really much of a New Year's Resolutions kinda gal (as evidenced by the fact that we're already 2 weeks into 2016 and I'm just posting this now). However, this year I felt compelled to write down a few things that are maybe better classified as "goals" rather than traditional resolutions. Without further ado, here's what I'm hoping to achieve in twenty-sixteen...


1. Learn how to use camera on manual mode
Our DSLR is getting a little long in tooth and I'd love to upgrade in the next couple years. However, it's kind of hard to justify buying a new camera without having ever been fully functional with our current model. I've dug around online and managed to rustle up the user manual. Now I just need to read it. Perhaps that should be my first assignment for goal #4?

2. Paint one room in the house myself...
...with a paintbrush, not my checkbook.

3. Get out of town one day a month
I find that even day trips help to temper the wanderlust/cabin fever that creeps up whenever I've been in one spot too long. It doesn't take much - a quick jaunt down to Kennebunkport, or lately - Saturdays spent on the bunny slopes of Mt. Abram. If it's outside of my normal weekday routine and doesn't consist of actual errands (looking at you, Target), it'll do.

4. Read one book per month
Technically I read at least 2-3 books a day. The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!, Learning to Ski With Mr. Magee, and Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site are just a few of the titles covered this year. As much as I enjoy the pictures, sometimes it's nice to read a book with just words (especially one that's more than 40 pages long).

5. Print/organize my photos
I take LOTS of pictures. Heaps of them. While many of them should be deleted within 5 seconds of having been snapped, there are actually quite a few decent ones in the mix and there are even more pictures that are attached to amazing memories. Unfortunately, they usually end up in one of a few photo purgatories I maintain - the bulging "Camera Roll" on my iPhone, a folder minefield on the family MacBook, my underutilized external hard drive, and a smattering of random downloads on my work laptop. This year I'd like to do a big purge then actually implement an organizational system for the remaining and all future images. If I can find the pictures I'm looking for, then maybe I'd also finally get around to filling the modest collection of empty frames I've amassed. I should probably take care of that before our kid starts thinking the stock photo couple are out-of-state relatives and he wants to know why they never come to visit.

6. Start running (again)
There's a sub-goal for this one, too - I want to start running again completely for myself without any events to train for, no matter how strong the lure of a free, ill-fitting race t-shirt gets. 

I have a bad habit of running for a few weeks, thinking "this time, I'm going to stick with it!", and then signing up for races I never complete. Please don't let the 2007 Chicago Marathon and the 2013 NYC Marathon fool you into thinking I'm a legit runner. I promise I'm a poser. I get on a kick once in a while, buy a bunch of new gear, then burn out after a few weeks and retreat to the couch to lick my wounds (which may or may not resemble cheesy Doritos dust). At least most of my orphaned entry fees of the past have gone to good charities, right?? 


So there you have it - six things I hope to accomplish in the 366 days of 2016. Except it's the 14th and there's only 352 days left. Maybe "be on time" will make it onto my 2017 list (but probably not).

No comments:

Post a Comment